Exam Study Guide 007525RR 007525 Methods, Mapping, and the Composition
Exam Study Guide
TUTORIAL: Includes final exam guide with sample answers for final exam.
Individual Assignment: Methods, Mapping, and the Composition 007525
Exam Study Guide 007525RR
007525 Methods, Mapping, and the Composition
1. Cartography is the science of
A. cartoon graphics.
B. the solar system.
C. the prime meridian.
2. What measurement best describes the results of a scientific experiment regarding volume?
A. 5 quarts
B. 2 pints
C. 125 gallons
D. 1425 mL
3. How are igneous rocks formed?
A. Lava or magma heats up and crystallizes.
B. Glaciers melt.
C. Lava or magma cools and then crystallizes.
D. Hail falls and melts.
4. Which of the following is not a characteristic that geologists use to identify minerals?
5. Which statement best describes an igneous intrusion?
A. Magma is exported to an open area and forms iron.
B. Magma explodes to the surface and forms a smooth outer layer of rock.
C. Igneous intrusions form when ice crystals splash into lava.
D. Magma is injected into surrounding rock forming an igneous intrusion.
6. What element has 81 protons in the nuclei of its atoms?
7. Please choose the answer that describes the scientific notation for 3,134,000,000.
A. 31.34 × 109
B. 3.143 × 1045
C. 3.143 × 109
D. 3.134 × 109
8. Please choose the answer that describes the scientific notation for 5,098,000.
A. 5.098 × 75777
B. 5.098 × 107
C. 5.098 × 106
D. 5.098 × 108
9. Which of the following is an example of a homogeneous mixture?
10. What are the three particles of an atom?
A. Neutron, electron, and ion
B. Electron, proton, and isotope
C. Proton, ion, and valencium
D. Proton, neutron, and electron
11. The combination of the atoms of two or more elements is known as a/an
12. Climatology is a subspecialty of
A. marine biology.
C. environmental science.
13. Earth is divided into 24
A. time zones.
14. What type of map is best suited for maritime navigation?
A. Mercator projection
D. Conic projection
15. What measurement best describes the results of a scientific experiment regarding distance?
A. 51 kilometers
B. 500 kilograms
C. 57 miles
D. 523 inches
16. A person’s temperature is 40° C. What would it be in Kelvin?
A. −313° C
B. 313° C
C. 313 K
D. −313 K
17. What gives the gem amethyst its purplish color?
18. Which of the following is not an example of a mineral crystal shape?
19. The four main systems of the Earth are
A. aromatherapy, biology, chemistry, and physical properties.
B. geology, meteorology, oceanography, and chemistry.
C. geosphere, atmosphere, hydrosphere, and biosphere.
D. geosphere, atmosphere, hydrosphere, and aerosphere.
20. A testable explanation that’s supported or refuted is called a/an